The rainy days are here and so are unseasonal rains. To prevent us from getting wet and falling sick we need rainy season jackets or raincoats. Falling sick at this time of Covid-19 makes us a bit nervous too. We will find out some of the features to help you make the selection of the Best Raincoat for Heavy Rain in India that suits you. Some people prefer Umbrellas, for that, please check my other article Reverse Inverted Umbrella.
Raincoats are one of the most important pieces of clothing to have in your closet. You never know when you might need one, and they’re a must-have for any wardrobe.
Some people might not think that raincoats are worth investing in because they might not think they’ll get that much use out of it. However, if you live in a rainy area or if you know you’ll be traveling to a rainy place or during monsoon, then it’s worth having at least one reliable raincoat.
What is the best type of raincoat? It depends on what you will use it for and what is important to you. If it’s just for fashion then maybe a thin, shorter coat would be best but if you want something that will keep you dry then a longer coat with waterproof will be ideal.
Table of Contents
- 1 Which is the Best Raincoats for Heavy Rain in India?
- 2 What is the meaning of Raincoat?
- 3 How to Choose the Best Raincoat for Heavy Rain in India
- 4 Different types of Raincoats in Best Raincoat for Heavy Rain in India
- 5 Are Bike Riding and other outdoor activities possible with the Raincoats?
- 6 Select the Best Raincoat for Heavy Rain in India
- 6.1 1. ZEEL Unisex Seam Sealed Raincoat with Long Jacket and Hood | Waterproof Pant with Carrying Pouch
- 6.2 2. Duckback Men’s Rain Suit
- 6.3 3. THE CLOWNFISH Sky One Men’s Waterproof Raincoat with Hood and Reflector Logo for Night Travelling
- 6.4 4. Wildcraft Red Hypadry Unisex Raincoat
- 6.5 5. Sky Rain Coat for Women Waterproof – with Hood in a Storage Bag
- 6.6 6. Generic Men’s Transparent Raincoat with Pant
- 6.7 7. FabSeasons Solid Waterproof Raincoat for Kids with Hood
- 6.8 8. LET IT RAIN Maroon XL-46 Rain Coat for Women | Ladies | Girls
- 6.9 9. FabSeasons Reversible Waterproof Raincoat with Reflector at Back for Night Visibility and Adjustable Hood
- 6.10 10. FabSeasons Full Raincoat with Adjustable Hood and Reflector at Back for Night Visibility
- 7 Frequently Asked Questions ( FAQs ) on The Best Raincoat for Heavy Rain in India
- 7.1 1. Is a windbreaker the same as a raincoat?
- 7.2 2. Which is better waterproof or water repellent?
- 7.3 3. Can a windcheater be used as a raincoat?
- 7.4 4. Are Rain shoes required?
- 7.5 5. What is the raincoat material?
- 7.6 6. What material is waterproof and breathable?
- 7.7 7. What is the difference between an Anorak and a Parka?
- 7.8 8. Are all raincoats waterproof?
- 7.9 9. Is nylon or polyester more waterproof?
- 7.10 10. What material is Rain proof?
- 7.11 11. What should I look for when buying a waterproof jacket?
- 7.12 12. What does 2.5 layer jacket mean?
- 7.13 13. How are raincoats waterproof?
- 7.14 14. Is a waterproof jacket windproof?
- 7.15 15. Why are raincoats made of plastic?
- 7.16 16. Is windcheater a raincoat?
- 7.17 17. Are windcheaters waterproof?
- 7.18 18. Can you wear windbreakers in the rain?
- 7.19 19. What is the difference between jacket and windcheater?
- 7.20 20. Is there a truly waterproof jacket?
- 7.21 21. Which type of plastic is used to make the raincoats?
- 7.22 22. How do I choose a rain jacket?
- 7.23 23. How to make raincoat waterproof?
- 7.24 24. Who invented the waterproof raincoat?
- 7.25 25. What makes a waterproof raincoat waterproof?
- 7.26 26. What are some good raincoat brands that are waterproof and comfortable?
- 7.27 27. Which raincoat brand is the best in India?
- 7.28 28. Which is the best raincoat for men?
- 7.29 29. What are the best options to buy raincoat?
- 7.30 30. Which is the Best raincoat for bikers in India?
- 7.31 31. What is Shell in a jacket?
- 7.32 32. What is the point of a softshell jacket?
- 7.33 33. How do raincoats protect us?
- 8 Video on 10 Tips & Features To Look For While Picking A Waterproof Jacket
- 9 Conclusion on The Best Raincoat for Heavy Rain in India
Which is the Best Raincoats for Heavy Rain in India?
If you live in India, especially in one of the states that receive heavy rainfall all year, you understand the importance of a good raincoat. Furthermore, if your job requires you to be out in the field regularly, having a good raincoat is just as important as having other necessities. There are many raincoats on the market, but the vast majority of them are made of low-quality material that does not last long and is easily torn.
When shopping for a good raincoat that will last you a long time and will keep you dry during the heaviest of rains, look for something that is made from 100% Pure Polyester. It is important not to choose a raincoat that is made with cotton, because cotton is extremely absorbent and will soak in most of the rainwater. Instead of keeping you dry, it will make you wet, cold, and uncomfortable.
If you are looking for the Best Raincoat for Heavy Rain in India, look for something that has a double layer of material. This will make it more durable and able to withstand all types of weather conditions. Also, if it is dark in color, the water will not show on your coat.
To help protect your arms, look for protective coverings on all of the sleeves. This will keep the wind from blowing right up your sleeves, causing you to become cold. There are many stylish raincoats available to accommodate individual tastes and preferences. If you are interested in the Best Raincoats in India, take the time to look at some similar styles online or in a store near you. You can also ask friends and family for their input, as they have likely purchased a raincoat in the past. You can then compare different products to find which is the Best Raincoat for Heavy Rain in India for you.
Furthermore, it is important to choose a coat that has a hood that is attached to the collar. If the hood is detachable, it will not stay on during heavy storms and will instead blow off. If you buy a raincoat where the hood is attached to the collar, it will remain in place even during strong winds.
What is the meaning of Raincoat?
A waterproof or water-resistant coat worn to protect the body from rain is called a raincoat. It helps you stay dry and is sometimes called a rain slicker. Waist-length raincoats are sometimes called rain jackets. Rain pant which is worn with a rain jacket is called rain suit.
History of Raincoat
Over time the raincoat was used by making different techniques and waterproof materials. While raincoats have taken many forms over the millennia using different waterproof materials and techniques, the first modern waterproof raincoat was created following the patent by Scottish chemist Charles Macintosh in 1824 of new Tarpaulin fabric, described by him as “India rubber cloth,” and made by sandwiching a core of rubber softened by Naphtha in two pieces of fabric. Charles wanted to create a fabric that could protect the wearer from rain and the fabric wouldn’t be harmed by the water. Many tailors were reluctant of his new material and had no interest in it. Charles set up his own company and eventually adding vulcanized rubber to the coat.
How to Choose the Best Raincoat for Heavy Rain in India
While buying a raincoat, go for long raincoats rather than short raincoats as long raincoats protect you from wind and rain, whereas short raincoats allow one to move freely and are stylish.
A good raincoat will have a hard outer material and a layer of inner lining to protect us from rain. It is Best Raincoat for Heavy Rain in India with Fleece-lined to use in places of cold climate. Buy a raincoat with mesh or removable ( Detachable ) lining for a warm climate.
A very important aspect of a raincoat is the hoodie. You get different types of hooded jackets but buy the one with adjustable hoodies.
Buy a raincoat with wrist closure and drawcords, to keep the water out in the rain.
Before buying, check the pocket placement and number of pockets. Apart from keeping your hands warmer, it helps in keeping your mobile, watch, and other material safe with pockets within and outside the raincoat.
Raincoats are designed to keep the water out, but body heat is generated and trapped inside, so buy a raincoat that has underarm Ventilation for better air circulation.
Check the size and fit of the raincoat before buying because different brands or manufacturers have a slight difference in size and fitting. Always buy one size bigger than your shirt size.
Different types of Raincoats in Best Raincoat for Heavy Rain in India
Trench Coats :
Trench Coat is made of waterproof heavy-duty cotton gabardine, leather, or poplin. It generally has a removable insulated lining, raglan sleeves, wide collar, stylish buttons, and self-tie belts. It also comes in different versions, a short one which is above the knee and a long one above the ankle. Women who go for style and fashion use short ones regularly. Right now they are the most demanded raincoats in India.
A poncho is simply an oversized piece of plastic with holes in it. They are usually worn over your head and kept in place with snaps or a button. The poncho was created in the nineteenth century to help cattle herd. Rain Poncho is designed to keep the body dry from the rain and is made from watertight material. They are the cheapest raincoats because it is lightweight, breathable, and airy.
Anorak is a hooded, pullover jacket that is waterproof without a front opening. They sometimes have drawstrings at the waist and cuffs. It has a sporty look and is used to keep warm and they are used by people who need to stay active and look fashionable
Parka is stuffed with warm synthetic fiber and the hood is lined with fur. Parkas are hip-length jackets and have a waterproof finish for cold weather. They are slightly the same as anoraks. Parkas are bulky or heavy and used in places of extreme cold and are mainly used by the military, skiers, and hunters.
Mackintosh is a raincoat made of rubberized fabric. The Mackintosh is inexpensive as it is not breathable and the body heat is locked inside. It is used for walking and is not suitable for heavy work.
Are Bike Riding and other outdoor activities possible with the Raincoats?
Biking and other outdoor activities are possible with raincoats, but they will become heavy and wet. The clothing should be waterproof to some extent. Normal rain coats work fine for bike riding and other outdoor activities such as hiking, but cyclists will probably want a heavier raincoat that is windproof and water-resistant. Raincoats are not well suited for backcountry biking because they do little more than keep you dry while you’re in the saddle ( they won’t protect your clothes or arms ).
Select the Best Raincoat for Heavy Rain in India
1. ZEEL Unisex Seam Sealed Raincoat with Long Jacket and Hood | Waterproof Pant with Carrying Pouch
- Regular fit, hooded raincoat jacket to protect your head against rain.
- Reflective logo in the front and back as a safety feature.
- Waterproof rain pants to keep you dry in the rain.
- Useful for trekking, camping, cycling, biking, etc.,
- 2 front pockets with velcro flaps over the zipper for added protection.
- Easy to carry for bikers, campers, trekkers, etc., as it comes with a carrying pouch.
- High neck design with drawstring at the hood and elastic at the wrist cuffs to keep the water out during the rain.
- The rainwear can be used as a windcheater because of the drawstring on the hood and bottom of the jacket to give you the perfect fit.
2. Duckback Men’s Rain Suit
- Designed in classic rainwear form to be a trendy transitional option. The button placket and drawcord hood add authenticity to the design, while a waterproof finish, ensures comfort.
- The new and improved Duckback Original Premium Rain Wear keeps you dry and cozy even during a downpour!
- The Rain Wear is formed from tough 100% polyester fabric that’s treated with a DWR finish to repel moisture and lightweight stains.
- Plus, it’s fully seam-sealed and topped to make sure total waterproof, breathable protection.
- Reinforced stitching all through the Rain Wear enhances durability for long-lasting.
- The Duckback Original Premium Rain Wear or rain suits has an attached hood with drawcord adjustment; a full-length front zipper alongside flap closure for a customized fit.
- Two spacious hand pockets with closures provide ample storage for your essentials and rain gear and come with rain pants.
- Share all of your excitement and joy of Rain with this Original product from the House Of Duckback.
3. THE CLOWNFISH Sky One Men’s Waterproof Raincoat with Hood and Reflector Logo for Night Travelling
- Made from High-Quality Polyester fabric material.
- This Reversible Use Rainwear is made from double-layered polyester fabric.
- Every joint is seam-sealed with additional leak-proof stitching making it completely waterproof.
- Overlaying flap with snap buttons over zippers prevents water seepage.
- This is one of the best raincoats for bikers in India.
- It also comes with high collars and an adjustable hood. It has a small inner pocket to protect your watch, mobile, or any other expensive items.
- Good quality raincoat elastics in trousers make them super-light and comfortable to wear.
- It has front and back reflective stripes for safety in low light.
- Can comfortably carry it in your backpacks or your bike storage compartment for handy use with a zipper bag for easy storage.
4. Wildcraft Red Hypadry Unisex Raincoat
- 100% Nylon Material
- The waistband is elasticated for a comfortable fit.
- Water seepage is prevented because of Sealing.
- Zipper pockets are double flapped to prevent zipper closure from getting wet.
- It is a full-length raincoat.
- The zip is covered with velcro from top to bottom to make it completely waterproof.
- You can carry it around anywhere as it packs into its pocket.
- For the serious buyer, the pant is not included.
5. Sky Rain Coat for Women Waterproof – with Hood in a Storage Bag
- PREMIUM WATERPROOF MATERIAL – These best quality raincoats are formed of 100% eco-friendly non-toxic odor-free EVA fabric that’s not only extremely waterproof but can also be recycled and reused for long periods. whenever you wear it, you’ll find it tear-resistant, durable, waterproof, quick-drying but still breathable, and cozy.
- THOUGHTFULLY DESIGNED FOR YOU – The raincoat is included with long sleeves and a drawstring hood with a straightforward edge keeping your entire body dry in the downpour. The snap button terminations in the front and sleeve are helpful and secure.
- PRACTICAL AND FASHIONABLE – Elegant sub translucent surface is in 5 popular colors for your choice, giving you a fresh feeling and adding a perfect beauty in the rain. It is a free size or one size fits most for adults, teens, men, and women.
- You are protected in Heavy Rain as the head is covered with a hood that is attached. This can be considered as one of the best raincoats for heavy rain in India.
- A carry pouch is also provided.
- Most Importantly it’s MADE IN INDIA.
6. Generic Men’s Transparent Raincoat with Pant
- Made from high-quality lightweight and breathable PVC.
- It has 2 side pockets for wallets, mobile, and watches.
- Rain Coat is made of 17.5 gauge PVC, which makes the softness remain the same over seasons.
- It will never get harder or rough like plastic or thin PVC-made rainwear.
- Morden stitching and pasting technic are used to make the products durable and strong.
- It is soft and comfortable even if you wear it for many hours.
- That is why it is very perfect for riders, bikers, especially long route bikers.
- It is perfect outdoor clothing for workers like engineers, electricians, construction workers, etc who sometimes work during rainfall.
- The look of the raincoat is formal that it is also perfect for marketing personnel, students, teachers, doctors, lawyers, and other professionals.
- Comfortable while traveling.
7. FabSeasons Solid Waterproof Raincoat for Kids with Hood
- Relaxed fit with double-layered protection with adjustable hood and flaps over pockets.
- Easy to carry everywhere because of its lightweight and packable design.
- It is made of tough polyester fabric and is fully seam-sealed at every joint to make it completely waterproof.
- Available for age group 4-10 Years in 4 sizes.
8. LET IT RAIN Maroon XL-46 Rain Coat for Women | Ladies | Girls
9. FabSeasons Reversible Waterproof Raincoat with Reflector at Back for Night Visibility and Adjustable Hood
- Made from tough polyester fabric, sealed at every joint of the seam to make it waterproof.
- Double layered protection and Reversible use.
- Classic design with a relaxed fit with high collars.
- Pockets with flaps on them on one side and adjustable hood.
- It is lightweight with a packable design to carry it anywhere.
- If you are going to store it for a long period in the storage bag, then dry it completely before folding and storing it.
10. FabSeasons Full Raincoat with Adjustable Hood and Reflector at Back for Night Visibility
- Released fit with classic and functional design.
- Easy to carry and pack with its lightweight and packable rain jacket material.
- All joints are fully seam-sealed making it waterproof.
- It is made from polyester fabric.
- If you are going to store it for a long period in the storage bag, then dry it completely before folding and storing it.
Frequently Asked Questions ( FAQs ) on The Best Raincoat for Heavy Rain in India
We have compiled a list of FAQs on the Best Raincoat for Heavy Rain in India. If you have any questions, please ask in the comments section below.
1. Is a windbreaker the same as a raincoat?
A rain jacket protects from rain, and also protects against wind. Windbreakers ( windcheaters ) protect against the wind but provide less protection against rain.
2. Which is better waterproof or water repellent?
1. Water-resistant: water will be resisted to an extent but not completely.
2. Water-repellent: water cannot penetrate easily, as it is treated with a surface coating.
3. Waterproof: water cannot pass through it.
3. Can a windcheater be used as a raincoat?
Windcheaters are not waterproof but water-resistant and block wind, but rain coats or rain jackets are waterproof. Raincoats or rain jackets are best to use on rainy days, but they are a bit heavy and breathability is less.
4. Are Rain shoes required?
Most of the raincoat brands in India do not provide rain shoes ( footwear or rain boots ) with rain coats. The rain shoes or rain boots are not a must but they are useful as your shoes do not get dirty in the rain.
5. What is the raincoat material?
Nowadays, raincoats are made from breathable and waterproof fabrics, namely Gore-Tex or Tyvek, and coated nylons. These fabrics allow the garment to breathe as the water vapor pass-through so that the sweat can escape.
6. What material is waterproof and breathable?
Waterproof breathable fabrics are usually made of nylon or polyester, and it has a laminated membrane or coating, generally made of ePTFE (expanded Polytetrafluoroethylene, also referred to as Teflon®) or PU (Polyurethane).
7. What is the difference between an Anorak and a Parka?
An Anorak is a pullover jacket with a hood without a front opening and is waterproof, with drawstrings at the waist and cuffs. A Parka is a fur-lined hood, hip-length coat, stuffed with warm synthetic fiber. It is used in extremely cold places, so you can feel the warmth in it, sometimes referred to as a Parka jacket.
8. Are all raincoats waterproof?
A raincoat, also known as a rain slicker, is a waterproof or water resistant jacket that is worn to protect one’s body from rain. Modern raincoats are frequently made of breathable waterproof fabrics like Gore-Tex or Tyvek, as well as coated nylons.
9. Is nylon or polyester more waterproof?
Both nylon and polyester are water-resistant, but polyester is more so. Furthermore, the water resistance of polyester increases as the thread count increases. However, unless coated with special materials, neither material is completely waterproof.
10. What material is Rain proof?
Rain-proof fabrics are typically natural or synthetic fabrics laminated or coated with a waterproofing material such as polyvinyl chloride (PVC), rubber, polyurethane (PU), wax, silicone elastomer, and fluoropolymers.
11. What should I look for when buying a waterproof jacket?
The majority of waterproof jackets are constructed in 2-layer, 2.5-layer, or 3-layer. All three construction types have a DWR-coated outer fabric or face fabric, that helps to protect the rest of the jacket from moisture.
12. What does 2.5 layer jacket mean?
2.5 layer rain jackets: These are ultralight, most breathable, and often least expensive rain jackets. They are made thin and often have a plastic-like feel to them. Like before, the jacket has a DWR-coated face layer and a waterproof second layer (generally a budget-friendly polyurethane).
13. How are raincoats waterproof?
Rain jackets are treated with a durable water-repellant (DWR) finish, which is a hydrophobic glaze that allows the coats to breathe while remaining waterproof. It allows water vapor, such as sweat, to escape but prevents rain from entering. The raincoat is just a coat without a DWR. As a result, you’ll need to recoat it.
14. Is a waterproof jacket windproof?
Windproof: Any waterproof jacket will also keep you dry in the wind. That makes sense when you consider that a barrier designed to keep driving rain out would also keep the wind out. There are also jackets with windproof technology, usually some type of laminate, that are only water-resistant.
15. Why are raincoats made of plastic?
Plastics and rubber have low water permeability (they don’t let water pass through easily). Plastic and rubber can also be used in thin coatings. Even thin sheets of plastic have low water permeability, are lighter, and are more flexible. Because of these benefits, plastics are used to make raincoats.
16. Is windcheater a raincoat?
Windbreakers are lighter and pack smaller than rain jackets, making them ideal for light hiking. A rain jacket, as the name implies, is primarily intended for rain protection, but it also provides good wind protection.
17. Are windcheaters waterproof?
A WINDCHEATER is designed to block the wind but is not intended to be waterproof.
18. Can you wear windbreakers in the rain?
Windbreakers are lightweight waterproof, breathable garments that provide a thin layering of weather protection. While they may provide some protection against light rain, they are not fully waterproof and will not withstand a typical shower.
19. What is the difference between jacket and windcheater?
A jacket is a formal/semi-formal garment that is worn with pants. It is worn as activewear with track pants made of a similar fabric. A windcheater is a thinner, lighter version with a front zipper. It is made of synthetic material and provides medium protection.
20. Is there a truly waterproof jacket?
Waterproof zippers are now standard in the best waterproof jackets. These are not completely waterproof all of the time and should have an inner flap to keep any rain out. A standard zip with external and internal flaps is more secure, but it is only found on a few garments nowadays
21. Which type of plastic is used to make the raincoats?
Raincoats are mostly made of plastic, and PVC (polyvinyl chloride) is the main component of plastic, so this could be the right chemical to use in raincoat production.
22. How do I choose a rain jacket?
Choose a lightweight jacket, considering the fit, colour, and material of the raincoat, as well as any additional features such as hoods, buttons, and belts. You get options in men’s lightweight rain jackets, women’s lightweight rain jackets, and all kids’ lightweight rain jackets.
23. How to make raincoat waterproof?
After washing the jacket, rinse it and hang it to dry while it is still wet. Now is the time to re-waterproof: Spray a waterproofing spray all over the jacket, making sure to cover all of the seams. Then, put the jacket in the dryer, and it should be hydrophobic when it comes out.
24. Who invented the waterproof raincoat?
Charles Macintosh, Scottish chemist best known for inventing a method for making waterproof garments in 1823 by cementing two pieces of cloth together with rubber dissolved in coal-tar naphtha. His name was given to the mackintosh garment.
25. What makes a waterproof raincoat waterproof?
Raincoats are treated with a Durable Water Repellant (DWR) finish, which allows the coat to breathe while keeping the raincoat dry. As a result, the raincoat is waterproof.
26. What are some good raincoat brands that are waterproof and comfortable?
27. Which raincoat brand is the best in India?
The best raincoat brands in India are:
4. Sports 52 Wear
11. Amazon Brand – Solimo
28. Which is the best raincoat for men?
The best raincoat for men are:
- The Champion Men’s Polyester Waterproof raincoat.
- Wildcraft Hypadry Rain Jacket Suit.
- Duckback Men’s Polyester Raincoat.
- Tarkan v2.
- FabSeasons Reversible Waterproof Raincoat.
- ADOFO Waterproof Reversible Raincoat.
- Sports 52 Men’s Polyester Raincoat.
- Quechua Rain Cut Jacket.
29. What are the best options to buy raincoat?
For the answer, please read this article.
30. Which is the Best raincoat for bikers in India?
The best raincoat for bikers in India, in our opinion, is a Gore-Tex raincoat. These coats are pretty much waterproof and breathe extremely well because Goretex material has a high breathability rating. They will be able to protect you from the wind and rainy weather to shield you from the heat or cold when necessary. Given that they’re waterproof, it’s important to find the right size to prevent water from seeping in to cause discomfort.
31. What is Shell in a jacket?
You can use a shell fabric to create or protect an insulation layer in a jacket. The ideal shell fabric does not let water through, keeps the inner layers dry, and reduced heat loss due to conductance.
32. What is the point of a softshell jacket?
Soft shell jackets are popular for active outdoor activities due to their stretchiness, warmth, and breathability. They’re an excellent choice for casual wear in cool weather and can be used as an insulating mid-layer when layering for skiing or dressing for cold, snowy conditions.
33. How do raincoats protect us?
Raincoats protect us from rain by acting as a barrier between the raindrops and our skin. The water droplets form into a sheet of water that slides off the raincoat, rather than soaking in.
Video on 10 Tips & Features To Look For While Picking A Waterproof Jacket
Read Also: Audible Audiobook Review India
Conclusion on The Best Raincoat for Heavy Rain in India
Raincoats should last long for the money you spend. It should not be the case that you have to buy a new one every year. To avoid getting wet in the rain, it is a must to have a good raincoat. Many raincoats are priced higher but do not last as long as they are made from cheap materials. Also, don’t go for a low-priced raincoat. The best practice is to research what you want to buy like features, budget, which is the Best Raincoat for Heavy Rain in India that suits you, etc.;
If you feel we should add something in the article Best Raincoats in India, or you want to ask anything, feel free to write in the comments section below.
Will write an article on Best Womens Raincoats soon.