Half Helmets are one of the most important safety gear for Motorcycle Riders. They protect you from a crash, even if you hit your head on the ground. The best half helmets are designed to keep your head safe and secure during a crash. It is always good to wear a helmet that fits well and provides maximum protection in case of an accident.
In India wearing a helmet has become a rule and people are abiding by rules to wear a helmet when they are riding two-wheelers. But not everyone follows this simple rule, though it is meant for the security and safety of the riders only. A full face helmet is something that some feel irritating and difficult to keep on for longer hours. So there are half helmets for those, who can wear them comfortably while driving or riding a two-wheeler and do not feel any discomfort. Half helmets are meant to provide aeration as well as give protection to your head.
There is various type of helmet-like full-face helmets, open-face helmets, modular helmet, flip-up helmet, sports helmets, racing helmets, and bike helmets but most of them cover such a large part of the head and face that it causes a problem for those who wear them for a long time and sweats a lot. India is a hot and humid tropical country. Two-wheeler riders are mostly done in the daytime and there are severe chances of getting sweaty when one is under the sun for hours. So the helmet should protect the head but also spare the uneasiness of the wearer with extra comfort and proper airflow vents.
Table of Contents
- 1 Why half helmet is required?
- 2 What is the difference between a half helmet and open face helmet?
- 3 What are the Pros and Cons of Half helmet?
- 4 Top 7 Half Helmets in India
- 6 Tips regarding size and measurements:
- 7 Features to look in your helmet:
- 8 Frequently Asked Questions ( FAQs )
- 9 5. Is it true that a good helmet can protect you from concussions and brain injuries?
- 10 6. Which is safest helmet in India?
- 11 Conclusion on the Best Half Helmets In India
Why half helmet is required?
- Half helmets are there to save you from the situation so you do not feel uneasy while riding on the road. It lets you breathe and so you sweat much less.
- Also, half helmets protect you from the stain that gets on your face due to the masked helmet.
- Full helmets of sports bike helmets are heavier and a few suffer from a headache due to wearing them for long hours. The half helmets also save you from that situation as these are comparatively lighter.
- These half helmets are pretty stylish and come in attractive colors. You may like them if you are a stylish person.
- Many deaths and accidents have occurred as a result of riders failing to wear helmets. So it is a must precaution for the riders and everyone should mandatorily wear a helmet while they are riding the two-wheeler.
What is the difference between a half helmet and open face helmet?
The half helmet offers your head safety and lots of aeration so you do not get the protection for your head that much. But accidents can happen due to mishaps and then your face can get hurt while you will be meeting any accident. However, the cheek, neck, ear, and head will stay safe in an open-face helmet. It also helps you to avoid fatigue as you will not sweat as much. The design of a half-face and open-face helmet is different.
The half helmet comes out during the time of the accident, which is a dangerous thing, but the open-face helmet does not come out so often. Open face helmet comes with a visor that gives the rider extra protection. The half helmet does not offer any protection from the sun so the rider has to wear sunglasses or goggles to protect oneself from the sunrays. Open face helmet can cause a bad odor due to the accumulation of sweat but the half face helmet offers no odor as there is ample space to enter the air.
What are the Pros and Cons of Half helmet?
- Half helmets are lighter in weight and so it strains your neck lesser than the full face or open face helmets.
- As you get complete aeration in the half helmet, you fatigue less and that is a plus point. You can ride for long hours if you choose half helmets.
- A stylish look is provided by the half helmet which is lacking by the other kind of helmets.
- These ones cost much lesser than the full helmets or open face helmets.
- A good view of surroundings is gained by the half helmets as lots of open area around your eye is provided.
- These are safe and legal. If you are averse to wearing any helmet and still are forced to wear one due to legal issues and as a safety measure then you must check the half helmets.
- A half helmet does not provide you with full coverage and thus you will not be 100% safe while wearing a half helmet.
- It can come out during accidents and thus you will be open to any damage.
- The dust, debris, dirt, hot or cold air will not spare you when you will be wearing a half helmet for long rides.
Top 7 Half Helmets in India
Today, there are three main categories of bike helmets: “full face,” “open face” and hard shell helmets. Now we will discuss the most promising half helmets available in India.
1. Steelbird SB 27 Half Face Helmet
- This helmet is an ISI-approved product.
- There is an eye-protecting optical visor that is covered with polycarbonate.
- Multipore breathable cushions padding with high-density EPS foam are offered in this helmet.
- This is an anti-odor helmet.
- The neck protector comes with a zip and it can be removed when not in use.
- The helmet comes with an Italian design. ( Designed in Italy, Made in India )
Steelbird Hi-tech India Ltd. is an old company which offers high-quality products and it sells its products among 50 nations across the world. They offer products with innovative design and technology. Items like Pannier Boxes, Helmets, Visors, and other accessories are offered by them. They always test their products before putting them to market.
The helmet we are discussing here is approved by ISI standards. This one comes with protective eye shields, and it weighs 1.22 KG.? The outer shell is made of ABS while the lining is of EPS. A removable neck protector is available with this helmet.
- This one is lightweight and comfortable to wear
- The neck guard is detachable
- The inner padding quality is not of high quality
2. Motofy Habsolite Safety Helmet
- There is a chin strap with a clip lock mechanism and adjustable slider in this helmet.
- The clip mechanism is there to help the helmet fit your head perfectly.
- The outer shell of the helmet is made of high-grade ABS material which ensures longevity.
- This helmet can withstand heavy collision due to its sturdy nature.
- This helmet also comes with three-layer protection and it ensures sturdiness and strength.
This one comes from a good brand and this helmet offers durability and good design. This is a multipurpose helmet that offers service during cycling, trembling, trekking, and site visits. This is an easy operation accessory and it comes with a chin strap clip mechanism. This one also has hard ABS outer shells and three-layer protection.
- This one is easy and comfortable to use
- This is lightweight and one of the best options for the daily commute
- The stylish lock of the helmet makes it super cool
- The helmet is not ISI marked
- The straps are of bad quality and can come off after a few uses
3. Autokraftz German Style Half Face Helmet
- It is a DOT-certified helmet.
- It is pretty durable as it is designed according to the German style.
- There is a nylon strap and it also has adjustable sliders.
- The adjustable D string is there to secure the helmet in the proper position.
This is a Delhi-based store and it offers cars and motorbikes accessories. The products are of high quality and made of good materials. The products include pollution musk, leather gloves, car cleaning duster, and some other materials.
This helmet comes German-style and has been manufactured according to DOT standards. This is a lightweight helmet and it is durable and strong. It comes with an EPS liner. This one is available in different sizes. So anyone can get a helmet of his own size. Also, it is available in three different colors with its retro design.
- This one is easy to use and you can wear it for daily purposes
- There are three different sizes and three different colors of this helmet, the sizes are medium, large, and extra-large
- This is a high-quality product
- It is pretty much lightweight
- The inner portion is of not very good quality
4. Studds Dame Half Face Helmet
- There is a protective shield and long visor available in this half face helmet and it saves the rider from any flying objects, debris, and dust.
- The visor is scratch-resistant.
- The high-impact thermoplastic is used in this helmet’s outer shell.
- EPS lining is used for the inner padding of this helmet and it is treated for anti-allergic velveteen.
- The helmet is great for easy operation and safety.
- The customized cheek pads can be removed if you do not feel like using them.
This brand is one of the world’s best manufacturing companies for sports accessories and this company has two flagships like Studds and SMK helmets. A wide range of helmets, motorcycle accessories are available with new designs and graphics. The Studds products are sold in around 21 countries and SMK is sold in 23 countries. Major certificates like ISI, DOT, ECE, and SLSI are attained by this company.
These half face helmets come with removable cheek pads and there is a visor to protect the eyes of the rider, the dust and the flying objects do not go into the eye rider due to this visor. This one has a quick-release chin strap mechanism so the use is pretty easy. This helmet comes with EPS lining and the outer shell is of high impact. This is a black helmet and it is available in other colors too. The product does not weigh more than one kg.
- This is a good-quality helmet
- It is pretty easy to use
- This one is a perfect fit for ladies also
- This is not suitable for daily use
- This is a certified product but there is no certification mark on this like ISI or DOT
5. Target Indian Half Face Helmet
- The helmet comes with a protective shield that saves your eyes from flying objects and dust particles and also climatic conditions.
- This one comes in an attractive red color.
- The product is ISI-approved.
- The strap is made of nylon material and it is easy to use.
- The outer shell of the helmet is made of hard plastic. The inner padding is soft and comfortable. This inner layer is made from low-density material.
This is a fortune 50 company that has headquarters in the US and India. This company was set up in 2005 in India and they have since then tried to provide people with branded products which are of high quality. This company has spread its business in sectors like finance, human resource, supply chain, analytics, and more. Another aspect is providing customers with quality shopping.
The half face helmet provided by them comes with a protective shield for the eyes. This helmet is approved by ISI. The outer shell is made of hard plastic and the inner material is soft. This one looks stylish and attractive.
- This helmet comes with a soft inner lining
- The helmet has a stylish look
- This one is ideal for a bicycle ride but not good enough for bikers
6. Sage Square Multipurpose Half Helmet
- The strap provided in this helmet is fixed in such a way that the helmet can be used by both girls and boys.
- This helmet is ideal for pillion riders.
- This helmet is a comfortable one as its inner part is soft and comfortable and made of high-density material.
- The clear protective shield will help the rider to ride as it will help to protect his eyes from the flying dust particles.
- The outer shell is quite hard as it is made of hard material that makes it collision-resistant.
This is a local brand and it tries to provide with some good quality products. The customers are more or less satisfied with their items as they try to cater as per the customer requirement.? Also, they provide good support to customers after-sales. The products that they build are a hand-feeding syringe, ladies helmet, food water dispense, paw washer cup, and some other products. The products are all innovative and most of them have good user ratings.
The sage square helmet can be used by both boys and girls. This one is available in different sizes and colors. The flexible strap belt fits boys’ and girls’ heads easily. Hard ABS materials are used for making the outer shell and the high-density material is used for the inner part of the helmet. Along with that, a transparent shield is provided so the wearer does not get hurt in the eyes during the rides. This will also keep the eyes safe from any flying object or dust. The item weighs 700 gm.
- The helmet can get in different sizes and in different colors
- This is great for pillion riders and can be used easily
- The building material can be improved for a better product
- The strap quality is also not very good
7. GTB Mini Wrinkle Men’s Safety Helmet
- This one comes with a flexible strap that ensures a secure fitting and it can never lose its grip during any accident.
- This helmet is ideal for the pillion riders and it will also cover the rider’s head but not sufficiently. So it is best suited for the pillion riders.
This brand provides various different kinds of products and all these are pretty innovative in nature and in utility. The items they manufacture include a helmet, tent, nail dryer, folding chairs, and many more. Their ambition is to provide the customers with top quality products and they always try to cater to more and more people with the passing of time. The mini helmet for Men is available in only red color.
- The flexible strap makes the helmet an ideal one for those who ride on a bumpy road as it ensures safety for the ones while the rider will be moving all the time
- The helmet is cool in look and design as it comes in red color
- This is just perfect for the bicycle riders as this one is lightweight and also it ensures the safety of the bicycle riding
- This lightweight half-face helmet is not for daily use, it will not survive to the tenacity of daily use
- This is not a certified product so it can be best used by the pillion riders. It is not safe enough to be used while riding a bike
Tips regarding size and measurements:
If you are not sure how big or small a helmet you may need then we are here to help you out with the actual measurement. Take a measuring tape and hold it horizontally across your head. Place it one inch above your forehead. Wrap it around your head and see how much the length is. Repeat the process two or three times and you will be able to know the actual length.
If you find there are two different readings coming for each measurement, then choose the lower amount and get a smaller-sized helmet. All brands do not come with the same size specification so it is suggested that you may check for the size and then wear them before finally buying them.
Features to look in your helmet:
When the helmet is properly ventilated it offers aeration which is necessary for long rides as it prevents the rider from getting fatigued. A comfortable ride is a must for the ones when the helmet offers ventilation and also it remains odor-free.
Shell Material –
This is a prior feature to look for in your helmets. The shell material ensures your security and safety as it will save you from falls and collisions when you meet any accident. Materials like hard grade plastic, thermoplastic, fiberglass, carbon fiber, kevlar are used to make helmets and these are quite sturdy in nature.
Shape, Size, and Weight –
The half helmet should be of standard size and it should fit your head well. Otherwise, you will feel uncomfortable and your journey will become risky. The size varies from person to person and brand to brand. So you must check the helmet before buying it and also make sure that it fits your head and forehead comfortably. The measure of the circumference is a deciding factor that should be maintained. Also, the weight of the helmet should be light. It does not mean that you will compromise on security reasons, as the lighter helmet does not always offer a high level of protection. So choose something in between, that will not be strenuous for your head and neck as well as it will ensure safety.
Safety Standards –
The safety standards like DOT, ISI, Snell, ECE are there to maintain the safety standard of helmets from every brand. When it comes to size, shape, material, and weight, all these parameters are checked, and then a certificate is given to the brand of helmet. Among these ECE is a European standard and Snell is a US-based certification program. Also, these companies check if the helmet comes with or without a protection shield.
Usually, high-quality nylon is used to make the strap of the helmet. These do not usually cause any skin rash or irritation. The quick-release mechanism is used in these straps and some other helmets come with buckle-type straps. Check for the convenient type of strap while choosing the helmet.
Shield protection comes with a few helmets. The shield protection of your half helmet should be transparent and your view should not be disturbed by this. Also, it needs to be scratch resistant and easy to flip so you can open it while driving when needed.
Frequently Asked Questions ( FAQs )
1. How do I know which is the best half helmet for me?
The best half helmet is the one that you are comfortable with and can wear comfortably.
This is a tough question to answer because there are many factors that go into deciding which is the best half helmet for you. One of the first things to consider would be your head size, but also it should fit snugly on your head so it doesn’t slip off or fall off during intense physical activity. You will also want to make sure that the cheek pads are deep enough so they don’t dig into your face, and that the chin strap is adjustable so it fits properly.
Once you have all these things in mind, then there’s really no way to know which one is better than another until you try them out for yourself!
2. Do you need to wear a face mask when riding a motorcycle, scooter, or bike?
No, you do not need to wear a face mask when riding a motorcycle, scooter, or bike. A good quality helmet is the most important thing that you should have while riding a motorcycle.
3. Are half helmets legal in India?
As per the rules of India, half helmets are not legal in India. It is advised to use full-face helmets instead of half-face or open-face ones. Half helmet refers to a type of helmet that covers the head and neck with an open face design. This design exposes more than half of the wearer’s face but less than a full-face motorcycle helmet.
4. Which one is better: full-face or open-face half helmets?
There is no definite answer to this question. However, it is important to know that both helmets have their own advantages and disadvantages. When you are wearing a full-face helmet, your face is fully protected from the impact of any fall or crash. However, there are some limitations with a full-face helmet as well such as:
- The visibility of the rider may be restricted due to the visor on top of the helmet.
- There is a risk of claustrophobia due to how close you need to be to other riders in order for them not to hit your head when they take turns.
- You cannot see what’s going on around you while riding because your field of vision will be limited by the visor.
- It can become difficult if you want to drink water during a ride because your mouth would not fit in properly with the helmet’s chin guard up.
- On the other hand, an open-face half helmet does not cover all parts of your head but has fewer restrictions than a full-face one since there is more space between you and other riders in case they do collide with each other. The downside of an open-face half helmet includes:
- The potential for greater wind resistance due to having fewer air vents than a full-face one which could lead to overheating or dehydration during strenuous rides like cycling or running outdoors.
5. Is it true that a good helmet can protect you from concussions and brain injuries?
Yes, a good helmet can protect you from concussions and brain injuries. However, helmets are not the only way to prevent concussions and brain injuries. For example, wearing a mouthguard can help reduce or even eliminate the risk of concussion for athletes who suffer blows to the head when playing contact sports like football or hockey. Mouthguards also help prevent teeth damage that may result in bleeding on the brain. Another option is wearing a chin strap which is designed to keep your chin up so that it does not strike your chest during impact and cause a concussion or brain injury.
6. Which is safest helmet in India?
There are many factors that come into play when choosing a helmet. The first factor is the cost of the helmet. A good quality helmet will be one that fits snugly and doesn’t have any unwanted movement or noise. It should also have an adjustable chin strap, ventilation holes for proper airflow, and a removable visor if you need to wear glasses underneath it. Another important thing to consider is safety standards which vary from country to country. Some countries have stricter standards than others in terms of what can be used as a helmet.
In India, for example, helmets must meet strict safety requirements such as CE-EN 1078:2011+A1:2015 which means they must be made from ABS plastic with a matte finish and impact-resistant features like extra-thick lining around the top rim of the shell and large vents on either side of the head.
Conclusion on the Best Half Helmets In India
A great helmet is an essential piece of safety equipment for motorcyclists. The Best Half Helmets in India offer protection and comfort for your head, face, and neck. When you ride a motorcycle, you’re exposed to the elements and are at risk of being injured by accidents with other vehicles or obstacles. Protect yourself from these dangers with a good helmet! Our list has been carefully curated based on our research into the market and our experience riding motorcycles for years. We hope this guide helps you find the best half helmets in India!